Are you interested in teaching Kundalini Yoga (as originally taught by Yogi Bhajan) or learning more about this sacred technology? It is a beautiful practice that will surely enrich your life and develop fitness of mind, body and spirit.
Be aware during your search for a teacher training about who your trainers are, their qualifications and legitimacy, and what association you will be certified with once you graduate. Too many students have been misinformed and have had to re-take their training with legitimate teachers once they discovered they were not properly trained or certified after completing their training.
Currently, KRI (Kundalini Research Institute) is the official international training organization that promotes the teachings of Yogi Bhajan and oversees teacher training programs in 52 countries, graduating over 3000 new Kundalini Yoga teachers annually. The Level One KRI Aquarian Teacher Training Program consists of a 220 hour program (180 hours in class; 40 home practice) with a comprehensive well-organized course textbook called “The Aquarian Teacher” and a companion text called “The Master’s Touch”. Graduates of Level One earn the title of KRI Certified Instructor of Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan®, are registered with the International Kundalini Yoga Teachers Association (IKYTA) and fulfill the Yoga Alliance RYT (Registered Yoga Teacher) 200-hour requirement. The primary regulatory body for Kundalini Yoga teachers is IKYTA, not Yoga Alliance.
Becoming a trainer for a Kundalini Yoga Teacher Training Program takes years if not decades of practice and study. Potential trainers must have taught over 1000 hours of Kundalini Yoga, completed a Level One and 5 Level Two Modules totaling over 500 hours of study, and have spent several years mentoring with existing trainers. Potential new trainers are assessed by an international certification committee on their competence and maturity as teachers before being designated as associate, professional or lead trainers by KRI. On average it takes about eight years of mentoring before one is approved as a “lead” trainer.
Once a trainer is approved by KRI, they can list their trainings on the following site:
http://www.kundaliniresearchinstitute.org/kri-trainers/ . Here you will find listed the international courses with legitimate trainers. If you don’t see a course here, it’s not an approved course, and you won’t be certified by KRI or be able to be a member of IKYTA once you have completed it. This dramatically limits your legitimacy and future as a Kundalini Yoga teacher.
Here are some useful questions to ask to recognize a legitimate Kundalini Yoga Teacher Training:
1. Who will I be certified with once I complete this training? (correct answer: KRI, and possibly also Yoga Alliance )
2. What are the course textbooks? (correct answer: Aquarian Teacher, Master’s Touch)
3. How many hours is the course? (correct answer: 220)
4. Is this course recognized by the Kundalini Research Institute? (correct answer: yes)
5. Is this course trainer and program listed on http://www.kundaliniresearchinstitute.org/kri-trainers/ (correct answer: yes)
6. Is the course trainer approved by the Kundalini Research Institute as a trainer? (correct answer: yes)
7. Is White Tantric Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan a part of this training? (correct answer: yes)
8. Will I be able to attend the 5 Aquarian Teacher Level Two courses once I complete this training? (correct answer: yes)
9. May I be listed in the IKYTA international Kundalini Yoga teacher’s directory when I complete this course? (correct answer: yes)
10. Will I receive the monthly KRI newsletter once I complete this course? (correct answer: yes)
If you have asked the above questions and received the correct answers from your trainer, then you have done your homework and can trust that you will receive quality training. If not, then please be aware that you are registering for a training that is not approved by the KRI regulatory body or the international kundalini yoga teaching association. We may not be able to help you if you are dissatisfied with your course or trainer.
many blessings on your spiritual journey,
Sat Dharam Kaur ND.